Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Kiddos- year II

Yesterday was the beginning of my second year as a site facilitator for an after school program.

If you follow my blogs, you might have seen a few blogs last year complaining about my staff. I was not planning on returning this year as a site facilitator or to the program at all. My school schedule was all over the place and it would've been impossible for me to accommodate it into my schedule. As if my some sort of miracle I was able to arrange it to fit, dropping this class here and adding it over here.. etc. I had also just been given the approval to work full time at my other job, so I didn't know how I would pull off 40hours of work at job #1, 15hours of work at job #2, taking 15hours of school, plus have time for homework and gym time. The result was not looking too good. I managed to let my boss (job #1) know that I would be working less hours even though I had requested to be considered full time.

I loved my job with the kiddos... despite the horrid staff I had last year I enjoyed every minute of it. So I did what I had to and lie. Told my boss I was starting some sort of treatment and I needed to leave by 2pm. I felt bad for lying but the thought of having my kiddos be wrangled up by someone else was just not a happy thought.

This particular school that I am currently at had a bad reputation. No staff was willing to stick it out for more than a month. The site facilitators they had ran out the door claiming that the kids were off the wall and uncontrollable  Among the program, the substitutes dreaded having to go there because it was so hectic. To my surprise the first year I was offered the Site facilitator position I took it, not knowing what school I would be placed at.  When I found out what school I was at, I was sure that the supervisor did not like me and wanted to get rid of me. I was so nervous and had nightmares about it but I stuck it through. I did have several staff members come and go  but I was determined to get rid of the bad reputation this school had.

I am working on it. The site as a whole has come along way, and the kids are finally understanding a routine, and seeing that no matter what they do.. I show up everyday. I forgive and forget. It is something they never got from other site facilitators. Since I felt my work was not done, I NEEDED to go back.

 My "hubby" was so against me holding two jobs and taking 15 hours of school, he flat out told me I couldn't do it. I felt horrible. No one had ever told me I couldn't handle it. Needless to say we got into a heated discussion and I got what I wanted. I know he means well, I know his concern was that I was taking on too much, but that is just who I am. I probably need to get into the habit of not taking on so much. i am not perfect and I know that because I have so much on my plate, some of my duties(such as homework)are done poorly. I have my priorities, but sometimes my passion to work with kids gets in the way and I don't know how to say no to their angelic faces. (yes, even the rotten apples have angelic faces to me.)

I am hoping for an awesome school year ahead. I want to make this an awesome after school program full of fun filled activities while also completing with all requirements that need to be met.

No comments: