Friday, September 23, 2011

Higher Education- is it really for everyone!?

I feel like such a hypocrite. Here I am, promoting higher education yet I am questioning whether it is really for everyone.

But this isn't about weather our government should just pass the DREAM ACT, so that well deserving students who cannot pay for college apply for financial aid.

No. This is about older individuals entering the college world way past their midlife crisis.

I am so annoyed by these two ladies who are in one of my classes. Seriously the two are in their mid 50's. I don't know their exact age, but if they are younger, they didn't age well. OMG.... they are the slowest people I have met. Everything in Class must be repeated at least TWICE! and god forbid we have some sort of assignment online or are asked to look up a website. When they contribute to the class its just downright annoying and their banter is pointless. They repeated exactly what the prof has lectured about.... but ten times slower than the prof. They take FOREVER to make a point. Frankly I want to tell them to SHUT IT.

Also, here at work the frustration is more present because of our self- service registration process. I get loads of calls asking me to sign them up for classes. Or wanting an exemption from this rule because they don't know how or don't have a computer available at home.

I'm Sorry, but its not my fault you didn't keep up with technology... and if you aren't willing to travel to the public library or come to campus to use the Public computers to register, you might as well call it quits before you enroll in any class. EVERYTHING is on a computer now... more specifically, everything requires internet. Good luck completing assignments with that kind of attitude or work ethic.

 It is so frustrating especially when they go stubborn on you and are completely handicapped when it comes to reading a computer screen or worse following instructions.

I am not saying all older people are like this.. i guess its those who have nothing else to do, and have little to none experience with a computer throughout their lives that fall under this annoying attitude.

No comments: