Wednesday, October 20, 2010

just an old date....

So last weekend.. I get a text from an old... well I guess his title would be "friend."


He invites me to hang out with a group of pretty smart people...

Because I was feeling really down, and I knew that if I was to go home, I would literally get into bed and I would just cry myself to sleep, I decided to accept his invite.


A little about this "friend," umm I used to date him.(lets name him... IBO) He is a pretty good guy, working on his masters, Hispanic, hes really smart. Did I mention he is in Grad school?? OK so he is a few years older than I am but that's not a bad thing. ANYWAY that isn't the point. He is now dating and living with someone.


I knew of IBO's relationship status because of good old fb. I decided to go because I didn't think it would be awkward at all. In fact, I thought it would be childish of me to use that as an excuse just because we had once dated. After all, we are grown-ups no?


Well, IBO said he was bringing friends, and of course I wondered if his girlfriend would be there. I didn't ask. I must admit that the main reasons why I went was because he also knows a friend of mine whom I've known since grade school. I thought it would be nice to catch up, mostly I was looking for something to do to get everything I had going on out of my head.


I showed up, and for a few minutes, I thought I had been stood up. lol long story short... we sat down and chatted up a bit.. and ordered disgusting beer , they did... not me.. . one that smelled and tasted like an ashtray! just remembering it makes me nauseous.


Let me just say that it was WEIRD! AWKWARD. I sat across from IBO's gf. IBO and I occasionally looked at each other but each time I did, I felt weird and kept wondering, WHY?


Why did he invite me? After all this time? my friend whom I have known for years asked me what had happened between He and I. I wasn't even aware that she knew we had dated. Apparently Ibo used to call her to talk about me and how much he liked me.



Another thing I noticed was his Spanish. Back when we were dating, it was horrible. In fact it was kind of a turn off for me. I like a well spoken bilingual man. lol.. I noticed that he kept using it and that his Spanish had improved tremendously. I actually left wishing I had payed him a compliment in regards to his Spanish skills. He had no problem speaking it and it may have been to show off to his girlfriend? He kept translating for her. I felt horrible because I caught myself speaking Spanish and him translating what I said in her ear. I tried my best not to speak Spanish, but it sort of just comes out when I hear it.


His gf, is Asian. She too is working on her masters. Kinda shy and kept talking mostly to me. I too wondered if she knew that I used to date IBO. I questioned this because of our conversation and the fact that despite all the people there she spoke to me more than to any one else at the table. It could have also been that I was directly in front of her.


The question still lingers... why would I get an invite?


My friend was curious to know why it hadn't worked out between he and I. I automatically said "because I am not Asian." LOL


No really, He was a good guy... I was impressed, but I got a bit scared when he declared himself to me, (in Spanish!!!!) after having been on a few dates. It was too fast, too much. I mean was I wrong?? I am all about being friends first.. and he wasn't even allowing a friendship to rise. I was quick to set that straight and he said he couldn't just be my friend. He ended up adding me once again as a friend on fb, and that's how I knew he was dating someone else.


So I wasn't wrong. I mean, if he is living with his current gf... that can only tell you what he was expecting and looking for. Which is fine, I don't judge, but that is certainly something that he wouldn't have gotten from out of me.
LOL. I found this and thought it was funny.. enjoy!

No comments: