Thursday, April 22, 2010

Enough already!

Feminism.

urg! enough already! Seriously.

I had not given much thought to this idea. That is until now, or at least this semester. The subject has come up in lectures and class discussions.

Earlier this semester, (I cant recall if I made a post on this event or not) I felt out of place when I shared that my belief, and essentially my upbringing, was that it was my duty as a woman to serve and tend to the males in my family.

I was very frustrated because somehow this changed the way most of the girls i had befriended treated me. This very subject has resurfaced again with much more intensity. Earlier during the week, while in class the professor asked the class who considered themselves feminist. Most if not all the class raised their hand, I took a while and instead of raising my hand I made a comment. "to a certain extend"

I should have known better. This started some what of a very deep discussion among the class. Even though I triggered the discussion, I held back.... bit my tongue. With the exception of a handful of people I know, I have yet to meet someone who fully understands and is not quick to judge and argue with my beliefs.

Society has placed this attitude in women now a days, and its true...their frustrations are valid. There are still occasions where Women are thought of as inferior to men. Take the workforce, a man and a woman who have the exact same credentials skills, experience are seen and treated differently. It can be proven that the man's salary is higher than the women. This is not fair. I agree with every other feminist out there and will gladly stand out and protest against this any day.


HOWEVER,

That is probably where It will end. when it comes to the "home", there is no place for such mentality. This mentality does not exist. I'm sick and tired.. HEAR ME, SICK AND TIRED, of trying to explain this to people. You can't tell me its wrong to think as I do. There is nothing wrong with Me WANTING to someday, "cater" to the man I will one day marry. YOU can't tell me you feel sorry for me for the times I served my dad, and brothers.
AND YOU CANT TELL ME I AM WRONG WHEN I SHARE THAT IS WHAT I USE TO DEFINE MYSELF AS A WOMAN. I AM NOT WRONG. And I am not saying that you're wrong either. This is just what I believe.

Call it catering call it whatever you want, If i don't judge you for your believes who are you to judge me for mine?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the end its all perception. People say that the more "traditional" women would cater, as you say. But why criticize of those who do it are happy. If your reality is one where you perceive your role as a motherly figure of caring for those you love, then who is to tell you otherwise? You don't want to "cater?" Then dont.

The general view of having a man work and woman attend to home duties are world wide. A view that has been reinforced by both men and women alike. Dont like it, deal with it. Teach your children otherwise, just dont expect change anytime soon.