Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Vous parle francais?

I have no idea why I didn't notice them last semester. I truly believe this is there first semester here, i would have noticed, or heard them. I'm referring to to the Foreign exchange students from France.

I studied French for 3 years in Middle school and I have managed to retain a lot of it, don't know how or why since I don't get to practice it but my guess would be because its close to Spanish.

When I work my late night shift at the library, they congregate.. and they speak in their tongue and I tend to strain my ears to see if I can decode something, anything.. sometimes I can!

I secretly want to be their friend. lol This all makes me wonder what my high school life wouldve been like if I had gone to brack and continued with my plan of studying french all through high school. I secretly wish I could go back in time and rebel against my mother's wishes. She didn't allow me to continue with this "french" thing because it meant that me and my twin sis would be seperated and God forbid a wedge form between she and I.

HA! The wedge had already settled comfortably between us and apparently I was the only one to take notice of it.

:sigh: Now, I am to conform and wonder the what ifs, I am aware that this is pointless, and I hardly ever, EVER do this but I can't help it.

Another person I would like to befriend is this guy. The two people I actually talk to, know him. One of them, D is constanly laughing at him. This guy lives in his own world. I envy him. He visits the library a lot and is never around anyone. He's what one woulld call a loner, outcast, anti social, weird. He is tall and lanky, wears glasses and has long hair for a guy. lol

The other night, actually it was about a week ago, I am sitting doing my homework in the "noisy lab" when he walks in. I take no notice of his entrance, but D is quick to distract me from my work with the nudge. He isn't carrying anything which is unusual because he always has a book in his hands. He walks around, without a care in the world and watches over peoples shoulders at what they are doing on the computer. I know this may sound creppy but it really isn't. From what I have heard, this guy, lets call him 'MM,' is like really smart. I heard from someone that he tends to get into really good debates with the profs and sometimes proves them wrong. He is, a source tells me, a history major.

D think he walks around laughing the way people here waste their time on. He gives this laugh, almost as if hes pointing and laughing - minus the pointing. He moved from one side of the "noisy lab" to the other, randomly pausing behind someone and watching what was on thier screen for just a second. I too laughed when D mentioned this because it fits so well. He probably laughs at the students who come here because of the insignificant things that they waste their time on. If he were to stand over my shoulder right now, I wonder if hed laugh at me? lol.

I secretly want to be his friend too. I might have made a break-through today. He roams the library, just as much as I do, and I see him on campus everywhere and I have had only one interaction with him. I was at the circulation desk when he needed to check out something. Today however, had a two second conversation, small and insignificant small talk but it was the first time he actually looked down, I'm Pretty short!

I dont think hes weird at all.. i just think hed be someone cool to talk too and definitely someone i can have a laugh ot two with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why dont you go and talk to the foreign students? just go up to them and say.. "Hi, i noticed that you speak french.. could you tell me what ____ means?" lol. it doesnt matter what you ask to translate (even if you already know what it means). I wish i knew some french.. all i know is spanish and jargon related to my field.

As for the other guys.. they are kinda weird. but then again, so are you, and so am i. lol.

-ardente veritate